First Time Here?
Thank you for your interest in applying for nomination to one of the United States military service academies.
This is the account creation page for Alabamians wishing to apply for Academy Nominations through Senator Jones' office.
Applications for Academy Nominations must be completed online by Thursday, Oct. 1, 2020. Letters of recommendation, official transcripts, and SAT/ACT scores must be received by my Birmingham office no later than Thursday, October 1, 2020 at 5:00 PM Central Time.
Use of the U.S. Senate Office Application Manager is strongly encouraged.
Applicants must meet the following requirements as of July 1 of the year of admission to the academy:
• Between 17 and 22 years of age
• Possess U.S. citizenship
• Unmarried, not pregnant, and with no legal obligation to support children or other dependents
• Reside in the State of Alabama
Nominations from Senator Jones are based on a “whole person” evaluation, including in-person interviews.
Applicants are considered for a nomination at four levels:
• The FIRST consideration is academics. Each individual’s grade point average, ACT/SAT scores, class ranking and willingness to embrace academic challenges will be considered.
• The SECOND consideration is leadership experience and potential command ability. This will be based on the resume of activities submitted in the application packet and would include involvement in sports, school, civic and personal/social activities.
• The THIRD consideration is the motivation and desire of the applicants to attend a service academy. This will be based on both the essay submitted and the interview before the Academy Selection Board.
• The FOURTH consideration is comparative in nature, appraising each applicant’s attributes against all who are applying.
Applications to the Academies
Applications MUST also be made to the Director of Admissions of the Academy or Academies of your choice, in addition to the nomination application to Senator Jones.
Merchant Marine Academy
For the Merchant Marine Academy, a Member of Congress may nominate as with the other academies, however, there is no dedicated position available. Each nominee selected must compete statewide for the vacancies, and the Merchant Marine Academy makes the selection.
U.S. Coast Guard Academies
A Congressional nomination is not required for the Coast Guard Academy, as they manage their own selection process. Any individual interested in applying must contact the Academy directly. You may submit an application online at http://www.cga.edu.
Final Admission to Academies
Selected nominees will be announced in December 2019 or January 2020. The slate of nominees chosen by Senator Jones and the Nominations board will then be forwarded to the academies indicated. The selection of the appointee to each academy is ultimately decided by the academy to which you have applied.
Senator Jones' offices are available to answer any of your questions. Feel free to email Senator Jones' office at Academy_Nominations@Jones.Senate.gov.